What is Estate Planning?
Estate planning is the process of structuring your personal and financial affairs so that, upon death, your assets are distributed according to your wishes.
A properly prepared estate plan will minimize income taxes and probate costs, provide for charitable donations and other gifts, ensure that your family does not face financial hardship and, in order to avoid future conflicts, clearly define how your assets are distributed.
5 Reasons to Have an Estate Plan
- Provide adequately for your spouse and dependents
- Distribute assets according to your wishes, not the courts
- Appoint your power of attorney to manage your financial affairs
- Appoint your own power of attorney to manage your medical care
- Decrease the time and potential problems to settle your estate
Use this checklist to get your estate plan on track.